Each student will need a computer, webcam, speakers, and mic. Most basic computers will suffice. Students will need internet access to complete their lessons and participate in online sessions.
There is nothing to install on the computer, so even if the child is visiting grandparents, traveling, or using a loaner computer, he or she should be able to log on and complete daily assignments. Almost any computer with internet access will work. Students are able to print lessons in advance if they prefer to work on paper or if they will be traveling without internet access.
Important Security Information
We take your child’s security and online habits seriously. In order to protect your child, we adhere to the following requirements for the online activity that will take place between teacher and student as well as peer-to-peer online interaction.
- Every teacher and child must have a plain background behind them (a blank wall, a curtain, etc.), so that no distractions can take place within the video chat session.
- We only allow chat and video sessions on our website using our secure system.
- Every chat and video session is saved and searchable.
- Our teachers will never give their personal phone number or connect with any of our children outside of our secure system.
- Teachers are prohibited from being friends or followers of students on social media.
- Students and teachers must adhere to our dress code while participating in online video.
- Students: collared shirt, fully buttoned, without propaganda or advertising.
- Teachers: “Business casual” attire.
- This dress code is not only for the purpose of safety but also for the success of our students and staff. We believe that when a child is dressed for school, he or she will be more focused and professional in the completion of assignments.
Every child’s computer should have-
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (version 2015 or higher) or the latest version of a browser that supports built-in PDF viewing, such as Chrome or Firefox (Grade reports and other reports are generated as a PDF file.)
- Google Chrome version 53 or higher
- Firefox version 48 or higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 11 (For users of Internet Explorer on Windows 8, Ignitia must be operated in the Desktop version of Internet Explorer.)
- Safari version 9 or higher
- Passwords: Disable features that automatically save passwords.
- AutoComplete: Disable AutoComplete, as this feature often looks like a list of answers from which to choose.
- Caching: Enable caching, but set browsers to clear the cache when closed.